[rescue] IBM/Sun disk compatibility

Barry Keeney barryk at chaoscon.com
Mon Jul 11 15:52:17 CDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Does anyone have direct experience with or knowledge of IBM 80-pin
> disks, part number 59H6601?  The vendor says they are model DGHS950,
> which is a 1" 18GB 68-pin 7200rpm Ultra-SCSI2 drive, but as far as I can
> find, that part number maps to model DGHS18Y, which is 1.6" 18.2GB
> 80-pin 7200rpm.

  No direct experience, but they should work. I've used IBM
80 pin36gig drives and a few 68pin 18's without any problems.
(so long as they are high voltage Diff's)

> Does anyone know for certain whether these drives will work in Sun
> systems?  (And will they physically fit in U30/60/80?  I don't remember
> whether they will take 1.6" disks or not.  I know they'll fit in a
> 6-slot 711.)

  I just put together my U60, and it can take atleast one 1.6"
drive, maybe two.

Barry Keeney
Chaos Consulting
email barryk at chaoscon.com

"Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."