[rescue] [Slightly OT]: Desk/Tables for multiple computers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 11 15:31:42 CDT 2005

>From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
>Date: Mon Jul 11 13:31:13 CDT 2005
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] [Slightly OT]: Desk/Tables for multiple computers

>On 7/10/05, Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:
>> On Jul 9, 2005, at 11:20 PM, Andy Wallis wrote:
>>
>> > products that can handle such strains and not break the bank?
>
>If money was no object, I'd suggest Anthro.  One of them
>will be my next major furniture purchase.

I don't have a "money is no object" choice, even if I have the money in pocket, I tend to be very "frugal"...

>The interim (well, it would be if it wasn't in storage) is a
>small IKEA computer station with an IKEA keyboard
>tray arm.  I think it ran me around $120 total.

Well, since I've moved into the new house, we are re-thinking most furniture arrangements, and for the last two weeks all computer work has been on a laptop, either at the kitchen table or in a comfortable chair (Ikea Pengo? That spindly/bouncy chair with the velcroed cushion)... I'm about to set up the servers/infrastructure, and I'm going to have IKEA ("metro") shelving for equipment rack, and a relay rack for cable modem, SFF x86 VoIP box, router, patchpanel, switch, etc.). As for desktops, I've not gotten around to thinking about that *yet*, but I do like the Ikea home office desks that are very simple - just two sides, a top and a cross-support - I've put 2x 21" Sun monitors on them with no weight issues... I want space under the desktop (not drawers), and I keep going back to the idea of buying a couple old cubicles for the basement...

>I like the idea of those aluminum folding tables, but I'm short,
>and really need a keyboard tray on top of a low work surface.
>This has been a real problem in my work offices.

Nadine - you're not short, your just right ;^) You know, a phone book on your seat cushion could really help out - just a thought...

Lionel