[rescue] [Slightly OT]: Desk/Tables for multiple computers

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sun Jul 10 12:22:22 CDT 2005

On Jul 9, 2005, at 11:20 PM, Andy Wallis wrote:

> This is slughtly off-topic, but germane to rescued machines. Over
> the past
> couple of years, I've pick up a few Sun, DEC, and RS/6000
> processors. My
> current desk is a run-of-the-mill Sauder(wooden) from Target and
> there seems to be signs of warping due to having 50-75 pounds on
> it for a couple of years.
>
> I'm now looking around for a heavy-duty table that I could put
> about 200
> pounds on without worrying if it will crash to the ground or
> warping in a few
> years. Most of the results from searching do not give stress
> limits; they
> usually only display the weight of the table. Does anyone have
> recommended
> products that can handle such strains and not break the bank?

Since I don't know your definition of break the bank, I can recommend
the IKEA Galant Desk system.  It's modular, and we have two (my
girlfriend and I)... they're supposed to hold up to 300 lbs.  Ours
are the beech veneer.

Regards,
Andrew

"I BET WITH SOME LIQUID COOLING YOU COULD GET TO 500MHZ! OMGWTFBBQ!"
-- Bill Bradford joking about what to do with Cyclequads