[rescue] [Slightly OT]: Desk/Tables for multiple computers

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Sat Jul 9 22:20:06 CDT 2005

This is slughtly off-topic, but germane to rescued machines. Over the past
couple of years, I've pick up a few Sun, DEC, and RS/6000 processors. My
current desk is a run-of-the-mill Sauder(wooden) from Target and
there seems to be signs of warping due to having 50-75 pounds on
it for a couple of years.

I'm now looking around for a heavy-duty table that I could put about 200
pounds on without worrying if it will crash to the ground or warping in a few
years. Most of the results from searching do not give stress limits; they
usually only display the weight of the table. Does anyone have recommended
products that can handle such strains and not break the bank?

The headless processors aren't a problem. The diskless clients with BNC
monitors are the trouble makers. I've attempted to use one monitor for a
Sun 3/60 and DECstation 5000/133 with not much success. Is it time to
bite the bullet and spend good money on a KVM and cables that can handle
PS/2, Sun and IBM 13w3, and Sun and DEC BNC connections?

-Andy Wallis