[rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 5 09:14:47 CDT 2005

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 @ 05:42 -0500, Bill Bradford said:

> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 04:58:34AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > Given Microsoft's description of it in the XP Resource Kit, it sounds
> > rather OpenFirmware-ish, only without the command-line.  I guess that
> > wouldn't bother most users, but being able to interact with a system
> > prior to loading the OS is great when you don't know what's broken.
>
> http://developer.intel.com/technology/efi/
>
> From what I've seen (but I cant find the link right now), it *can*
> have a command line...

That's interesting.

Intel says they started in 1998... why does it take the Wintel world so
long to do stuff like this?

It would be nice if it really works out, and is also available on AMD
systems as well.  There is a Linux boot loader for EFI already called
ELILO.

>From the diagram it appears EFI is a layer above the firmware.

I don't see any mention of things like CPU-neutral expansion card
BIOS and other things like that, but there are a ton of documents and
presentations to read on Intel's site.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]