[rescue] Looking : Sgi/Sun stuff

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jul 1 00:11:23 CDT 2005

Mon, 27 Jun 2005 @ 12:33 -0400, Nadine said:

> On 6/26/05, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> > > I use iClear on all mine (Mac thing).
> >
> > iClear and the Kensington cleaner, from what I've read about them, are
> > basically isopropyl alcohol and water.  I don't know what else they
> > might have in them.
>
> I mis-spelled that.  It's iKlear, and it doesn't contain isopropyl.
> They are quite specific about that.  It's some kind of liquid
> polymer-based stuff, which also lays down an anti-static coating.

I worry about coatings like that.  I've had more than one monitor, glass
and plastic both, that got a coating built up that proved very hard to
remove.

> Material data sheet @:
>
> http://www.klearscreen.com/Meridrew_Enterprises_MSDS.html
>
> I like it--it doesn't smell bad, and the anti-static seems to work
> well.  It's not cheap, but really, how much are you going to use
> unless you are cleaning an entire NOC's displays or something?

Well, I know a guy who eats dinner in front of his computer, and is
quite font of spaghetti... :)

> (And the cloth can double as a laptop screen protector so
> your keys don't get gunk on the LCD--a problem commonly
> seen, not just on Apples.)

Yep.  The worst case for me is on my cell phone.  It's a flip case and
the keys scratched the display pretty bad.

Now I have a protector.

Someone told me that plastic polish will fix the scratches, but I
haven't bothered.  At least now I won't scratch it any more.

My iPod wears iCondoms, a clever name for bog-standard LCD protectors.
They were cheap on eBay.

I got rid of the packaging, since I didn't really want to have to
explain it to a non-geek.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There are nowadays professors of
philosophy, but not philosophers." ]