[rescue] FS: Soekris NET4801

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jan 27 23:16:01 CST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I might actually be interested in one of these, were my budget in better
> shape right now.  Long-term, it'd be nice to have something non-x86 and
> *BSD-capable for my currently-under-construction firewall that draws
> less power, and makes less noise, than the U5 I'm currently building it
> on.

The Soekris boxes are PCs, but most of the x86 suckitude is mitigated by
decent firmware and a lack of anything unnecessary baggage.  For an
appliance, it's about as good as x86 gets.  They also run OpenBSD (and
presumably the other BSDs) wonderfully either from compact flash or a
2.5" hard drive.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "I've built my whole system with [-fomit-frame-pointer]
Elgin, TX        (  cause it was recommended...as I don't care if a program