[rescue] Announcement from Sun

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Jan 26 11:23:21 CST 2005

Kevin wrote:

> Hopefully this will allow faster support for hardware on *bsd.
>
> Maybe we can talk them into opening earlier versions of Solaris
> under the same licence to get some of the old/ancient hardware
> supported :)

   Probably wishful thinking, unfortunately: one of the things I've seen
memtioned over and over is that they had to re-write a lot of code that
was patent-encumbered, and I can't seem them doing that same work for,
you know, and old codebase. :7)
   Too bad, though, as I agree that having old stuff running would be
good. (For example, I wish I could run a BSD or Linux on my PowerBook
1400, but I can't so I'm going to find someone to give it to.)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator