[rescue] hard drives for sparc10?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jan 17 16:43:48 CST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 04:49:23PM -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:23:46PM -0700, Arthur Wouk wrote:
> >
> >> 3) is there a functioning 50pin to 68pin converter which would allow
> >> me to use sca scsi drives at least in external boxes?  any experience
> >> with these? i know there is no room internal to the sparc10s.
> >
> > Yeah, 68 to 50 pin converters are available.  I bought one for
> > something like $3 on ebay to allow me to use a 68pin device in a Sun
> > 411.  The adapter I bought didn't actually allow the device to fit in
> > the 411 case properly though.  I think there are likely smaller
> > adapters.
> >
> > I also "have"[0] a SCA adapter that allows you to connect SCA drives to
> > either 68 or 50 pin cables.  It fits fine in a Sun 411 case, and I
> > think it would fit fine in a SS2, but I've never actually seen the
> > insides of a SS10.
>

> It's interesting to note that the Acard IDE->SCSI adapters (50pin) are
> down to $70 each on www.getlaptop.com .

Are you looking at the 7720Us?  If so, those are supposed to be fairly
good for ATAPI devices, although I think they aren't developing them so
much anymore, so one might have trouble with newer DVD burners,
especially off brand ones.

However, for $90ish, I was noting that Acard now makes the 7730, which
is a SATA->SCSI adapter.  I'd like to pick up one sometime for my O2 and
see how it works as a video capture disk.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/