[rescue] Thinkpad 600E memory capacity (was Mac prices)

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sun Jan 16 20:18:55 CST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 07:06:49PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
> > Date: 2005/01/16 Sun AM 04:28:32 GMT
> > To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> > Subject: [rescue] Thinkpad 600E memory capacity (was Mac prices)
>
> > The question, therefore, that I'm hoping someone here will know the
> > answer to:
> >
> > Is that 288M maximum in the Thinkpad 600E a chipset limit, or merely the
> > maximum amount of memory that one could physically get into the machine
> > at one time because nothing larger than 128M was available?  If I put a
> > 256M SODIMM into the machine along with, at first, one of my existing
> > 64M SODIMMs -- or with a 128M or another 256M module -- will it work?
>
> Crucial.com lists 188 Meg as supported, and they offer 128 Meg DIMMs for $57/ea - AND, they have a compatibility guarantee, so if it doesn't work, nothing lost...

I know it will work with up to a single 256M DIMM.  I'm just wondering
if anyone knows if it will work with more than 288M.  Tryong a second
module from a vendor with an unconditional moneyback guarantee is
possibly a good way to find out.

> P2 systems with 256 Meg RAM are OK/good, Solaris might be a good option on that laptop - I've run it on a P2/300 MHz CPU laptop with 256 Meg RAM, and it was nice.

Unfortunately an OS switch isn't an option on this machine at present
because, until  my job goes permanent and work issues me something
up-to-date, I need it for work, and for that purpose I MUST have Windows
on it -- can't do my job without it, because I need to be able to use
Windows Remote Desktop.  (And no, I can't use VNC.)

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net