[rescue] RE: SGI vs. Sun

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jan 13 17:05:47 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 10:53:25PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:46:56 -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 07:28:00PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> > > The only 100mps ethernet option for the I2 was an EISA card, and a
> >
> > There is also a GIO64 FastE card.  The Phoebos G160 I believe is what
> > it is (there is also a G130 for Indys).
>
> Looks like I got that wrong! I guess it isn't the first time, and it
> won't be the last time :(
>
> > And I don't know that I would call FDDI all that rare, but maybe I
> > talk to the wrong people.
>
> It didn't used to be, but everyone wants gigabit ethernet now.

Well, that too.

I want all three (FDDI, GigE, and HIPPI that is).

I figure each would have it's place.  FDDI for general systems and net
surfing, HIPPI for fun, and GigE to fileserve non SGIs.

> > I wish to expand its usage in my home.  I just need more Defpa and a
> > PCI cage for the Octane.  It's sad.  I bought a PCI cage, but it got a
>
> You're not saying a dafpa would work in an Octane are you ? Damm I've
> got a few of those lying around but never thought to try.

No, I'm not saying that.  I mean, I have the SGI FDDI card, but no
working PCI cage, and I have a seperate machine that could use a defpa
now, and maybe another coming in the near future.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/