[rescue] RE: SGI vs. Sun

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Thu Jan 13 16:33:53 CST 2005

Quoth sammy ominsky ...
> On Jan 13, 2005, at 16:29, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>
> > Especially since you can put 1 GB of 'em in an R10K I^2.
> > I've got 768 MB in mine.
>
> Know where I can get some cheap?  I don't have nearly enough RAM in
> mine.

I got the 64 MB SIMMs off eBay.  I don't remember if they were cheap, but,
since I am, they probably were.

Somewhere on the 'net is the complete rundown on what to put where to get
maxMem in an I^2.  Don't buy anything based on this, but my recollection is
that you need four 128 MB SIMMs and eight 64 MB SIMMs, and you put the 128s
in the first bank.

It's a little like putting 32 MB SIMMs in bank 0 of a SPARCstation LX or
Classic; it's unsupported, undocumented, and works.

My jacked-up I^2 is no Octane, but it rocks right along.

-Shel