[rescue] RE: SGI vs. Sun

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jan 13 15:41:16 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:29:33PM -0800, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> The I^2 is essentially non-expandable if you have Max Impact graphics.  It's
> only got 4 slots to start with and the video card "stack" takes up three of
> 'em.  Add a 100baseT NIC and you're done.
> It does have a separate external SCSI chain, but it's 50-pin.  If there's
> any other way to expand one, I've never heard about it.

You could always do FC-AL instead of Max-Impact.  I would really like to
find a High-Impact with 4M TRAM one of these days.  If it doesn't have
the 4M, it probably isn't any more usefull than a SI to me though.

> I think of the I^2 as a desktop with server capabilities, and the SS20 as a
> server with desktop capabilities.  In those days, if you wanted SMP and
> major expandibility from SGI, I think the next step up from an I^2 was a
> Challenge L or Onyx.  That's a big step.

But a fun one I'd imagine.

I really hope I can still find those bad boys once I get a home to put
them in.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net