[rescue] RE: SGI vs. Sun

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jan 13 13:46:56 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 07:28:00PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:

> The only 100mps ethernet option for the I2 was an EISA card, and a
> rebadged 3com card at that. Not exactly a perfect choice. Now if you
> went to FDDI, you could get a GIO64 card. FDDI may be pretty rare these
> days, but at the time of the I2 you would be more likely to get FDDI to
> a mid-range workstation than 100BaseTX.

There is also a GIO64 FastE card.  The Phoebos G160 I believe is what it
is (there is also a G130 for Indys).

And I don't know that I would call FDDI all that rare, but maybe I talk
to the wrong people.

I wish to expand its usage in my home.  I just need more Defpa and a PCI
cage for the Octane.  It's sad.  I bought a PCI cage, but it got a hair
on the compression connector and doesn't seem to want to work.  It and
the PCI FDDI card show up, but try to use that FDDI card and Irix panics
with PCI bridge errors.  Sigh.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net