[rescue] Cleaning out, anyone want some FREE stuff?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jan 13 12:54:19 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 07:10:56PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:43:50 -0600 (CST)
> "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
>
> > Clock-for-clock, SPARC is generally faster than MIPS by a pretty big
> > margin.
> This depends very much on the CPU generation. I own an Octane with 300
> MHz R12k and it runns circles around a 300 MHz U10. I suspect it will
> not be much different when compared to a U30/U60. It may be different
> when you compare a SuperSPARC II to a R4k4.

My U30/300 massively outperforms either of my U5s.

I just upgraded my Octane to 300mhz.  But, I haven't set it against any
of the other machines yet.

Subjectively, I would say that a U30/300 seemed about equal in computer
power to a Octane/250, but the Octane/300 seems much faster than the 250
now.  One of these evenings, I will actually do some application
comparisons on them though (iverilog on both, gcc rebuild on both, etc).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/