[rescue] RE: SGI vs. Sun

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jan 13 12:48:53 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:43:41PM -0500, Jones, Andrew I wrote:

> Yeah, but for every Origin, there was an Indigo 2.  Doesn't anyone remember
> the dog systems?
>
> The I2's can't even saturate a 100 mbit ethernet connection, leaving their
> monstrous processors spinning their wheels.
>
> At least we can say Sun never produced anything so crippled as an R10k I2,
> right? ;)

Err, what workstations did Sun offer near the time the I2 was released
that could do a full 100mbit? I think the SS10s came out a year earlier,
but would they really be able to saturate 100mbit ethernet?  The year
after the I2 I guess the SS20 came out.  I have trouble pictureing a
SS20 really outperforming a r4.4k I2 for any tasks, but I haven't set
down and actually tried the assorted posibilities.

Now, when the U1 cames out, that certainly blew away the I2 for memory
bandwidth, although I think that for many tasks it was still a slower
machine.  I think that U2s would be more comparable anyway.   SGI, of
course, came out with the Octanes slightly more than a year later.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/