[rescue] Cleaning out, anyone want some FREE stuff?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Jan 13 10:06:36 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 10:03:09AM -0500, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

> >> Them's fightin' words, boy. :)
> > You hold him down while I go get The Trout of Clue...
> > ;-)
> > Mike
>
> Did anyone ever notice that SGI machines were better than Sun? Other than
> a few lacking things in the OS.
>
> Okay okay, so the Sparcstations could be crammed full of ROSS processors.
> Indy just had style, and came out of the box at 200mhz+ speeds.

It's not just about clock speed.  Otherwise Intel would be the fastest
for everything.

That said, I don't think I've ever put SGI and Sun next to each other in
a fair test other than running iverilog (which seems runs a bit slower
on a 270mhz U5 w/ 128megs of ram and IDE than it does on a 250mhz Octane
with 640 megs of ram and Ultra SCSI).

The closest I've ever come to a side by side comparison lets me declare
without reservation that a 195 mhz Onyx w/ RE2 graphics is whole
heartedly faster at every task I tried than a 170mhz SS5.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/