[rescue] Cleaning out, anyone want some FREE stuff?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Jan 12 23:21:45 CST 2005

John Williams declared on Wednesday 12 January 2005 11:51 pm:
> > > Such a machine is a fantasy... ;>
> >
> > Then, you've never had the "pleasure" of running a benchmark on
> > one...
> >
> > Sun machines may have good reliability, but (from experience) don't
> > have very good compute power.  You'd be better off with a
> > 24-processor POWER3 SP frame - which should be obtainable for MUCH
> > cheaper.  The only thing the F6800s have going for them is the large
> > amount of memory they can have shoved on them.
> >
> > Pat
>
> I have an E6500 with a damaged backplane that was loaned to the lab
> on condition that I give it proper care and feeding.
>
> It came here with 24 250 MHz ultrasparc IIs in it.
>
> So the price was right.
>
> I have my pay.  For hardware I get to use whatever I can scrounge.

Free is good, but if you have to pay the power bill, it stars sucking.
One benchmark I ran put a single proc on our 24x1.2GHz, 192GB systems on
par with a 200MHz POWER3 proc.  I'm not sure I trust the benchmark 100%,
but for it to perform anywhere near that badly indicates the systems
have some definate "speed issues".

You might look into getting yourself a TeraGrid allocation if you're a
part of CalTech.  The one thing that the TG really could use is some
users...

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        --- http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/