[rescue] Old BayStack router

Ross Lonstein ross-sunhelp at lonsteins.com
Sat Jan 8 21:33:29 CST 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:13:17AM -0500, John Ruschmeyer wrote:
        [snip]
> vintage) BayStack Access Node Hub (ANH) AE1001011 router, including a 4mb
> flash card labelled which claims to be v11.0 of "IP Access".

I remember those...

> So, does anyone have any familiarity with this router and, more to the
> point, is it of any usefulness? It seems, at best, overkill for my home
> network, but I really didn't want to see it just hit the dumpster either.
        [snip]

I don't want it, but it was a useful piece of kit at the time. Nortel
end-of-lifed all of them.

IIRC, that model was intended for remote offices that ran only IP,
other models also handled other protocols (IPX, appletalk, decnet,
others). They called it routing but it bridged onto the WAN ports. We
controlled it with SNMP and it could do things like dial-on-demand and
had limited filtering and prioritization.

- Ross