[rescue] Seeking thinkpad 240C..

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Jan 5 11:44:35 CST 2005

Bill Bradford wrote:

> I recently replaced an IOGear USB-to-serial dongle with the Keyspan
> model.  The Keyspan is physically bigger, but actually works
> for things like sending a BREAK to a sun serial console.

   And I recently replaced an old Targus model PA088 USB-to-serial
adapter (which worked fine under Linux, dammit) with a new Keyspan unitm
model US19H or thereabouts, and I'm similarly satisfied.
   True: I bought a new Sun server (480R) and a new Sun RAID (3310), and
they didn't give -- or even offer -- the correct cables to connect them
for out-of-band management or the initial configuation! The array has a
9-pin port and comes with an adapter for 15-pin ports, while the Sun
server only has an RJ-45 for its serial connections. (You need a serial
conneciton to get the array's disks set up the very first time; after
that; you can go over the hosts's SCSI conenction or an unsecured telnet
session. *gulp*)
   Just to point it out o them I opened a support Case, and received an
elaborate shrug in reply: they're someone else's gear (DotHill, IIRC)
with a Sun badge, so... *sigh*
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt