[rescue] wire my house

Arthur Wouk awouk at nilenet.com
Thu Dec 22 18:08:14 CST 2005

another suggestion:

:Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:34:44 -0500 (EST)
:From: adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker)
:Subject: [rescue] wire my house!
:
:i know i can put the dsl modem anywhere, but it seems to me the
:logical place is at the demarc, so i can plug my existing house phone
:wiring into the ata.  but my 'playroom' is upstairs and the demarc's
:in the basement, so -- i need to wire my house.  i want to add at
:least one network jack in the downstairs living room as well.

not at all. wireless answers most of your problems very nicely. my
cable modem sits near my sparc2s, sparc10s, and ultra 1 and 2. i also
have  an airport base station next to it. there are three more modern
computers around the house: mackintosh g4, ibook g3, and (hesitate to
admit it) a compaq notebook (they were real cheap a few months ago),
all of which have wireless cards in them. two of them are on another
floor, and the laptops do move around, yet always have internet
connectivity.  the suns connect via ethernet to an ethernet switch
which itself connects to the base station via cable.

the signal strength throughout my house is very strong, by the way.
i am using the apple extreme base station, the 56(?)mhz one.

you don't need the apple base station solution, but  i bet a wireless
solution will work for you if you are more modern in your sun equipment
than i am.

house rewiring is probably more expensive than a wireless solution, if
your situation permits use it.