[rescue] Writing .DMG images

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Mon Dec 12 07:56:40 CST 2005

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 07:58:15AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>>Question for the Mac-literate:  If I have a .DMG disk image, but no
>>currently-bootable Mac (and no Mac at all with a CD burner), how do I
>>get that image burned to a CD?  Can anything on the PC side read .DMG
>>images?
>

> No. The .DMG format uses a proprietary compression algortyhm. AFIK there
> is no way to read it on a PC and I have tried. With that said, it's
> worth trying to burn it as if it's an ISO image. Uncompressed .DMG files
> are just raw images. It's a 50/50 chance the one you have is uncompressed.

I'd guess these are compressed, then, because I either get failures to
convert with dmg2iso, or Roxio says the resulting ISO isn't a valid CD
image.

> If you have access at all to a Mac with OS X, you can use the disk utility
> to convert a compressed DMG file to a "CD/DVD master" (ISO) file you
> can burn on a PC.

Unfortunately, we have only two modern Macs here, neither is running
OSX, and neither is currently runnable (one because it doesn't have a
boot disk installed, one because it won't boot from its boot disk).

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518