[rescue] New Niagara Sun boxes... useful link for quick specs

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Wed Dec 7 10:28:56 CST 2005

I came across this:

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/paulj#niagara

which gives a basic rundown of the new Sun CPU's capabilities.

It looks good, especially since they implemented common crypto operations in hardware, so supposedly you could for instance, encrypt everything going into/out of your system with minimal hardware slowdown.

On my moderately-loaded v20z, I see:

Total: 498 processes, 1563 lwps, load averages: 0.07, 0.06, 0.05

so if there was a lot of activity across a number of apps, I could see that performance on a "threaded" CPU like Niagara might be pretty good.

OTOH, the issue I am facing is RAM-related, not CPU-related (I could add more users to this machine if I had more RAM).

--Patrick