[rescue] ham gear

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Mon Dec 5 08:47:00 CST 2005

On Dec 3, 2005, at 8:11 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> The bigger problem there though, is just mis-application.
>
> The move to COTS for everything has hurt too, I think, and so has the
> push for "one size fits all" solutions like Java, Windows, or any
> situation where they try to do every job with just one tool.
>
> Initially it was felt this kind of thing would save money.
>
> No COTS software or hardware is completely right for a job as
> custom as
> what the military needs.  That means they have to spend money
> integrating all this stuff together, and configuring it for the work
> they need.
>
> I believe this costs *MORE* than custom vertical applications in at
> least a significant number of situations, and is very hard to make as
> reliable and well focused as a custom job.

On the other hand - sometimes the nifty-keen custom vertical
application is too costly (up front) so while you've got demo units
when the shooting starts .. that's all you've got.

Example when we deployed (I say 'we' but I spent the entire war on
Okinawa) for Desert Shield in 1991 I'd seen some really keen tactical
LAN equipment.  Ruggedized, push button stuff you could hand to the
infantry without worrying much about training beyond "battery goes
here".  Alas it was far too expensive.  We had none in the inventory
- and having 'just a few' was going to do no one any good.

So we went with our Banyan Vines network.  Unit commanders down to
Battalion and (in some cases) company level had laptops, a backpack
FM radio and a 300 bps modem, dialup servers at brigade linking to
servers at division and then MEF.  With email.  In theory I could
have sent my buddy in Fox 2/2 a message via his CO (Banyan's address
book was pretty good).  In practice Fox 2/2 could send traffic up to
MEF in a matter of minutes which really helped the jarheads organize
and tear into Kuwait.

Which isn't a good situation of course - it's possible (certain) the
total costs from using that system were greater than if we'd spent
money to buy the tactical LAN.  But we didn't - couldn't - justify
the funds before Desert Shield.  It's an old habit to tell the Army
and Marines 'make do'.

Brian Dunbar
System Administrator II
Desk: (920) 751-3364