[rescue] E5000 disk issue

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 20:38:35 CST 2005

On 11/28/05, Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:34:44 -0500, velociraptor wrote:
> > On 11/25/05, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I got some SBUS SCSI controller I can try, but I might as well
> > > update my SBUS IO board (SOC, not SOC+) and see if that makes any
> > > difference.
> >
> > We never used those for anything other than the system boot disks,
> > so I can't offer any suggestions in that regard.
>
> As it happens I have an E4000 which should be similar to the E5000 in
> this regard. I've had a problem with *one* disk producing the kind of
> messages you were seeing (sorry ... not been paying attention), but
> nothing since.

I have not gotten the issue since either, kinda weird...

> Bonnie++ or Postmark (which isn't really a throughput test). There's
> also FileBench but that might be overkill here.
>
> I can run both on my E4000 ... probably on a spare 4Gb disk, but not in
> single-user mode.

My e5000 always has activity on it also. Still, I'd be curious to see
if i'm getting in the ballpark. I know what software mirroring
improves read performance quite a bit on iozone.

I've been thinking more and more to go to ZFS and compression. It
helps on lower bandwidth SCSI from my quick testing. When is ZFS going
to be available as an update on Sol 10 (if ever?). OpenSolaris is cool
but I need a stable e5000. I have an Ultra 2 and V20z for Opensolaris

Anyway, back to Bonnie++ I'll install it and see what kind of results
I get. Let me know also what you get.

Francois