[rescue] Head for a SparcStation 2

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Aug 29 09:52:40 CDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 10:41:46AM -0400, John Lee wrote:
> A real honest to goodness LISP machine would be the coolest thing
> ever. You could even stay Sun-centric by getting the Symbolics UX-1200
> and plugging it into a VME bus Sun machine.
>
> I've never come across a TI Explorer, except in pictures. Actually, I
> don't think I've ever come across any LISPM in the flesh. They seem to
> be hard to get ahold of. They're certainly not as plentiful as our
> beloved Suns. Xerox had some LISPMs too, no?
>
> My question was more in jest, than anything...it's going to be
> Emacs+SLIME+SBCL for me for the time being. Make no mistake, though,
> when I get enough room and dough there *will* be a Symbolics XL1200 in
> my domicile.

MacIvory IIs can be had for about a grand I believe straight from
Symbolics (I mean the complete setup of Mac, MacIvory, ethernet card,
graphics card, and Symbolics ADB keyboard).  So, while that is pricey,
it isn't totally hard to get ahold of.  Still, a grand is too much for
me currently.

Emacs + slime + [sbcl|openmcl] is very nice.  I'm just finishing
building the latest sbcl for solaris 9.  Then back to working out what
it will take to get portable aserve running (it seems that the latest
version of portable aserve got broken by sbcl updates a few versions
ago).