[rescue] e420r and solaris questions

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 18:51:39 CDT 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:56:17 -0500, Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com>
wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your input on my questions about rackmounting and
> Solaris for the 420r.  I have another question that i forgot to answer
> the first time:  I think i'd like to have a framebuffer in this beast
> just in case i should need it at some point.  What would be the lowest
> cost framebuffer to put in it?  I really don't care very much about
> performance, i will quite possibly never use it at all, but i would like
> to have that option there.

You'll have to hunt down a Sun PCI framebuffer.  However you'll have to
have a keyboard plugged into the E420R in order to have the framebuffer
active; otherwise the framebuffer is left off, and the "A" serial port is
the console.  If you only need text-mode for diagnosing things, then an
old laptop with Linux and minicom through a null-modem cable would be your
best bet.