[rescue] e420r and solaris questions

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Sun Aug 21 16:28:48 CDT 2005

On 8/21/05 8:18 AM, "Patrick Finnegan" <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:

> Find how far back the center of gravity is on the box, and just in front
> of it, screw some rack ears into the box.  I've got some surplus 2U
> rack ears which might work laying around (2 per side) from APC Rack
> PDUs, which I could stick on one of my 420R's and see if they'll work.

If you're going to do this, make damn sure you're screwing those ears into
some sort of structural member in the chassis that can handle the weight.
Had a cow-orker once who wanted to do something like this and thought that
putting the screws through the sheet metal sides of the server (not Sun kit,
thankfully!) would be more than sufficient.

Luckily, there was nothing underneath it in the rack. The person who had to
answer the "server down" page in the middle of the night was *not* amused.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
Director of Information Warfare