[rescue] e420r and solaris questions

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 20 22:24:41 CDT 2005

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:33:38 -0500, Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com>
wrote:

> I just got an E420R from ebay (nice, quad 450mhz, 4GB of ram, 2x18.2GB
> disks for $699 with free shipping).  This is going to be my new co-lo'ed
> server, and i have a couple of questions.
>
> Is there a two post rackmount kit in existance?  The co-lo only has
> two-post racks, but the price for hosting is definately right. :)

I shudder at the thought of an E420R going on a two-post rack.  If they
have a cantilevered shelf that can handle a 4RU box, then that'd be okay,
but this thing definitely can't be screwed onto the posts by just the
front rack ears.

The Sun rackmount kit is for four-post, but is surprisingly inexpensive
for a Sun part ($95!).  Its link is at the bottom of
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/E420R/components.html but
it'll be useless for a two-post rack.