[rescue] Head for a SparcStation 2

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Aug 18 05:01:27 CDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:49:59AM +0100, Shirker wrote:
> For a truly excellent console display, get a Sun ELC and run Redhat 6.2 on
> it - hey presto, 143x53 with mouse cut 'n' paste support ;)

I got rid of my ELC's a long time ago, but there was a packaged SunOS 4.1
setup that ran in 4meg of ram (not difficult for an ELC, max for an SLC).
It included a swap ramdisk.

I netbooted it from a linux server, but you could just as easily have used
Linux (with an additional rarpd). Other people on this list have
successfully booted Suns of that vintage with BSD.

I also booted Linux directly on them, back when dead rat had a Sun version.
It needed a disk and if my memory is correct, the ELC will boot with a
drive that supports SCSI-II sector size commands, e.g. Toshiba, Sony,
Apple drives made by Sony, Plextor, but not NEC. However the SLC will
not, it needs a 512byte sector drive.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Support the growing boycott of Google by radio users and hobbyists.
It's starting to work, Yahoo has surpassed Google.