[rescue] Creating/Simulating/Emulating an old 1970s Bell Telephone Network

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Aug 16 10:30:05 CDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 03:16:17PM +0000, abuse at cabal.org.uk wrote:
> You don't even need that fancy a PC. I've got it running in production
> on a 400MHz PII that also hosts mooli.org.uk shell accounts and the
> Bastard Mailserver as well as some other stuff.

My Asterisk box is a Celeron 500Mhz.  It's an old Dell Optiplex GX100
that I got for $36 from retrobox.com (in the small form factor case)
and threw an extra 128M RAM stick in.  HD was 6.4G (plenty for *), and
it has CDROM/ethernet/etc.  Perfect to throw Asterisk at Home on.

My phones right now consist of a Grandstream BT101 and a pair of Cisco
ATA188s.

> *Certain* winmodems are driver-compatible with the Digium X100P, but
> they're pretty crap. You can only have one X100P (or clone) per system
> as a combination of bad design on both it and the x86 interrupt model.
> (Each X100P generates 8,000 interrupts per second.)

I have a good source for the clone cards for $7, if anybody's interested.

Bill

--
bill bradford
houston, texas