[rescue] Agan, I seek the wisdom of the Collective ...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Aug 12 16:35:55 CDT 2005

On Friday 12 August 2005 15:58, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Speculation, on which I seek advice and experience:  Is my problem
> simply that a single USII-250 isn't enough CPU for RAID5 on that
> hardware?  It's run a six-drive RAID0 for about four years without
> once falling down like this.

That's very unlikely, unless the RAID layer on Solaris sucks a lot more
than I think it does.  You shouldn't have any trouble running the same
RAID array on a 70MHz SPARC5, you just might get slower rebuild times.

It would be helpful if you could find out what error messages, or SCSI
errors, or whatever was occurring at the same time as the RAID was
going offline.  Unfortunately, I only know how to do that on Linux, not
on Solaris.

One thing you might do is swap your two 711 enclosures, along with the
drives, and see if the problem follows the drive slot, or if it follows
the disk drive.

And of course, back up the data first thing, unless you can stand to
lose it.

Pat