[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 27 10:20:57 CDT 2005

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>>Now if only someone would get rid of the crappy BIOS...
>

> Does anyone know what happened to the LinuxBIOS project?  I think that's
> the right name ... some outfit was working on replacing the PC BIOS
> altogether.  The downside was it had to be individually built for a
> specific hardware configuration ... the upside was, iirc, the machine
> would boot in something like three seconds.

It's kind of a stale project.

The problem is that BIOS really needs to be done by the manufacturer,
because of the rapid changes in system boards.

I don't see an external project being able to keep up.

Now, if the manufacturers would start using something like LinuxBIOS and
contribute, then maybe it would work out and replace the crappy PC BIOS.