[rescue] When is 100 less than 10?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Tue Apr 26 17:32:55 CDT 2005

Spake Geoffrey S. Mendelson ...
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:47:42AM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> >
> > 100baseT is slower than 10baseT on my SGI Challenge L.
>
> I've never been able to figure out why, but this happens on
> some computers.
> Currently I have a blue iMac (333mHz G3, 256m RAM, MacOS
> 10.3) which runs the
> same way. I have an indentical tangerine iMac, that
> compartivley screems.
> It also does the same thing with a USB wifi dongle., go figure.
>
> The way I got it to perform at all was to lower the MTU. 256 is a good
> start. Start up a copy/ftp/whatever and play with the MTU.

Well, I tried 256 (no detectible diffo), 512 (slightly, but noticeable
worse), and the magic 1452 (no diffo), then set it back to 1500.  Still
sucked.

I was using ...

 ifconfig vfe1 down;ifconfig vfe1 mtu 256;ifconfig vfe1 up

... figuring you couldn't change the MTU while it's up.  netstat -i
confirmed that the MTU was getting changed, but nedit took 10-15 seconds to
load with any value I tried.

Are their other values I should try?

Why would this matter to X applications and not to CLI ones?  Does X play
with the TCP stack in some weird way?

-Shel