[rescue] When is 100 less than 10?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Apr 26 16:08:43 CDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> I also have some sort of fiber-optic networking thing for the machine,
> but neither FO cables nor a converter to turn that into 100baseT so I
> can use it with the rest of my network.  There's a board, some
> bulkhead connectors, and an external box that says "FDDI Dual Ring".
> Is this something I should investigate, or was it just another way to
> separate SGI customers from their money?

FDDI is very nice and very fast (100MBit/s with huge frames).  You won't
convert it into Ethernet without a relatively powerful switch (Catalyst
5x00 series or so), though.  FDDI concentrators are cheap on eBay, if
you want to add a FDDI segment to your network.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "It's alright for someone to sleep past noon every
Elgin, TX         (   once in a while.  That's what it means to be a