[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Todd Carson tc+rescue at jc.dsl.telerama.com
Tue Apr 26 07:37:24 CDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:35:13PM -0500, Zach Lowry wrote:

> It's not that I'm concerned about learning a new OS, it's the fact that
> I'll have no real method for support for the OS I'm using on my primary
> desktop workstation. For Debian, I have newsgroups, IRC, etc. And, I
> have a free way to download security fixes. Not exactly the case with a
> "hobby" copy of HP-UX. :(

HP-UX security patches are freely available from itrc.hp.com, just like
Solaris patches are available from SunSolve. You're okay as long you're
using a version of HP-UX that is still supported; 11.00 was
discontinued recently IIRC.

I use HP-UX 11.00 as a print/scan server on one machine and for
occasional minor hacking/playing around on another. It seems like a
perfectly decent OS to me; I believe most of the faults I find with it
are fixed in 11i and up. I would use it more often except that my only
HP boxes are 712/60s.