[rescue] [OT] CDROM and other repairs (was: prioblems with CDROM on Ultras)

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Tue Apr 26 01:10:25 CDT 2005

"Lionel Peterson" <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Geeze - you wanna fix old SCSI CD-ROM drives? Replace them - it can't be
> that expensive... I have an old PlexWriter that is External, and it just
> works - 40x SCSI CD-ROM drives can be had for about $20 local computer
> flea markets - you only need one drive, as one machine can install from
> the other's CD-ROM drive...

Geeze - you just throw 'em out?

Heck, I even fixed two ATAPI CD-ROM this month ... one had a nasty grinding
noise when trying to open/close its tray because of a dust-bunny trapped in
the tray gears, the other one wouldn't load the motor/pickup frame because
two plastic studs which slide in a guiding rail had snapped of. They were
easily replaced with suitably small screws.

I don't even remember why I did the second one; the first one was one of
those Toshiba drives where the housing is set in above the IDE connector
like this (drawing not to scale ;-))

,---,     ,---,
|   |_____|   |
|   |:::::|   |
'---'-----'---'

which was needed because I was fitting it in a "luggable" case, where a
full-shape drive would have interfered with the CPU cooler.

Not to start a flame war, but for my part, I try to repair what ever seems
repairable.

Off-topic: can somebody with such a unit at hand tell me what value the
switcher regulator coil in an 3com OfficeConnect Hub 8TPC is? I have a
cannibalized one here which still seems to work when I inject stabilized 5V
after the regulator...

TIA, Yours sincerely

--
Arno Kletzander
Stud. Hilfskraft Informatik Sammlung Erlangen

+++ Sparen beginnt mit GMX DSL: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl