[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 25 22:17:18 CDT 2005

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 @ 21:09 -0500, Bill Bradford said:

> Mine sits on automatic and is still plenty fast - I'm betting it only
> has 256M of RAM.

Speaking of high memory usage...

Gnome is moving to OpenGL acceleration for everything in the next major
release.

They are creating GLitz to sit below Gnome and accelerate everything.  I
suppose this might make it easier to run on non-Intel hardware.

The Gnome people say it will *reduce* the memory use in Gnome.  I think
the idea is that currently applications do a lot of their own work in
the libraries, and X eats quite a bit of RAM for graphics contexts that
will end up being taken over by OpenGL.

I think some consolidation of things like font engines and moving stuff
like that out of the applications (where it should never have gone) is
coming as well.

I just thought of that because OS X eats a lot of memory, and the move
to OpenGL acceleration seemed to increase it a bit more in trade for a
lot more speed.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Star Wars Moral Number 17: Teddy bears are
dangerous in herds."]