[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Nathan Raymond nate at portents.com
Mon Apr 25 22:35:35 CDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Evil thought: Now is about the time for someone like Sun to decide that
> PC BIOS is cool, and start building their machines to require video to
> use the BIOS...

Hardly.  Did you look at the review of the Sun Fire 40Z I posted to the
geeks list back in February?  I found the section on the 'BIOS'
fascinating:

"The MPC855T PowerPC or Service Processor (SP) as it is more commonly
called in this analysis is in fact an entire embedded Linux computer of
its own. Even when plugging in one of the managed power supplies, the SP
kicks on and boots up. All management of the system is handled through
this minicomputer: the serial console, front console, BIOS, fan speeds and
even power draw. Even when the machine is off, the SP allows us to manage
the status of the system, even if it has crashed, remotely or locally. In
a worst case scenario, the SP can actually be rebooted from a hard switch
in the rear of the machine."

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2354&p=5

Sounds pretty ideal for an x86 system to me.

- Nate