[rescue] prioblems with CDROM on Ultras

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Mon Apr 25 21:02:02 CDT 2005

On Apr 25, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Paxton Hoag wrote:

> The one in the Ultra 2 just goes out and in but won't stay in. I am
> trying to load Soaris 8 from CD and I can't get the CD to stay in. It
> slides out when you turn it on. When you push the button it goes in
> for a few seconds and then pops out.

Good and cheap replacement drives are around. Those found in the U1 and
early U2 machines are almost always 4x. Faster Toshiba and Plextor drives
will fit the bill nicely. Be warned however that some of the Plextor models
will take a bit of shoe-horning to get the cables connected to the rear of
them when installed in the Ultra 1. I have a 32X Plex in one of my U1s.

Not sure if you will need to set the block jumper on the Plextors when
installed in the Ultras or not although it won't hurt to.

--
Mike N