[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Apr 25 14:36:27 CDT 2005

" From: Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net>
"
" Quoting Zach Lowry <zach at zachlowry.net>:
"
" > I don't think I can live with 8-bit color, I mean really. I would
" > have
" > to run HP-UX, which I don't have any support for. Looks like I can't
" > replace my main machine with an HP, and I *really* *really* was
" > heading
" > that direction. Now, looks like all I can do is Sun or IBM, or run
" > HP-UX, which scares me sort of. Maybe it won't matter really, I'm
" > sure I can get support somehow.
"
" HP-UX isn't really scary.  It's very BSD-like since it originally came
" from that tree.  SAM is a nice and menu-driven/curses style
" administration tool.

i can second that, having a year's intensive exposure to 10.20 on my
resume.  this included a week of hp training.

they've been meeting the svid as regards compilation since at least
'90 or so, and as of 10 and up are very posix-y though still no devfs.
and they moved the rc.d dirs to /sbin from /etc.

one way they score over solaris - /sbin/sh [root's default shell] is
actually ksh recompiled with the posix switch on.  this trivially
changes about half a dozen aspects of ksh behavior, mostly minor.  the
worst is the way $0 is reported in shell functions.