[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Aaron Finley aaronfinley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 16:59:49 CDT 2005

My vote would be for a Octane: V6 models are getting dirt cheap, and
compared to SUNs, PCs, or G4/G5 Macs, the responsiveness is
incredible. I chose machines on not how fast they are (none of my
computers could probably do fast 3D games), but how responsive they
are. As an example I would use php scripting and website design. I
need to be able to have multiple windows working instantly and
effectively while writing code, managing the database, and doing
graphic and HTML design all at the same time.

Imac G5 17" - slowest piece of crap I have ever used. The interface is
completely unresponsive. I would rather use a 486 then this. click
WAIT click WAIT. I have to use one of a daily basis at college.

Dell Dimension Pentium 4 2.? something - also a truly terrible
machine. Not quite as slow as the IMAC though.

IBM Zpro Dual Xeon 550mhz - best PC i have ever used, fast as all hell.

Sun Ultra 80, 2x 450mhz - decently responsive, but nothing
groundbreaking. Good when running an amazing amount of proccesses.

SGI Indigo2 R10000 Max Impact - my favorite workstation of all time,
wish I had never sold this one. Responsive and stable.

So taking from my experience with the SGI, I'd definitely recommend an
Octane, although my experience is rather limited. For me, its all
about how long you have to wait after clicking to see some action.