[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Nathan Raymond nate at portents.com
Sun Apr 24 14:06:46 CDT 2005

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> Actually come to think of it... this would be the ideal workstation for this
> guy.  I have a B2000 that just rips.  It's way fast.  It's well supported in
> both Linux and HP-UX.  The graphics options that came with them are quite
> decent for base graphics... I think I have a Visualize FX4 or something.
> Mine is a PA8500-4XX something (been a while since I fired her up).  I prefer
> running HP-UX 11i on mine since I bought a copy and also bought the C and C++
> compilers too. (not full price).

Hmmm, I've noticed that the B2000 and C3000 (also 400Mhz PA8500) sometimes
go for under $100 with hard drives, video, and memory on ebay.  For a bit
more, they come with the FX6 graphics card - is this worth the extra
money?  I am not familiar with HP's graphics cards at all.  And is the FX6
supported by Linux?  How would it compare to my Sun U60 (dual 300Mhz UII,
dual Creator 3D-M3, 2GB RAM) or SGI Indigo 2 (200Mhz R10k, 1GB RAM, Max
Impact)?

- Nate