[rescue] sparc10 wont read iso images

Arthur Wouk awouk at nilenet.com
Thu Apr 14 12:38:27 CDT 2005

i am trying to put solaris 9 onto my sparc 10s. i downloaded the iso
images from the sun web site, burned them onto cds on a macintosh
system which was available to me (i don't have a burner on my suns), and
took the cds to my suns.

i am working with two sparc10s with ross hypersparc 150mhz cpus, and
each with over 400megs of ram.  each has an external cdrom drive.
each has one internal boot drive and an external hard drive in a 411
box. no other  obvious differences. each is running the 2.25R boot prom.

at first neither drive on either machine could see the cds.  i kept
putting in the software 1of2 cd and then the the machines started
reading them. so i can put software 1of2  on both machines. when it
comes to software 2of2, one of the machines reads it perfectly, but the
other hasn't read it at all as yet (over 25 tries). i tried exchanging
the cd drives, but that doesn't change matters, the problem seems to
be in the sparc10 itself.

anyone have any clues as to what is going on?  why would one machine
refuse the cd so many times?