[rescue] Sun's new policy sucks...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Apr 8 11:05:43 CDT 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 09:31, Michael Vergallen wrote:
> Today Patrick Finnegan wrote :
> > try:
> > apt-get -b source `dpkg --get-selections | cut -d1`
>
> I'll give it a try this weekend...on one of my Ultra's with
> a spare disk.

You might actually want to send the dpkg output to a file, because IIRC,
there may be some virtual packages and stuff it won't be able to get
the source to, and you may have to pull them out of the file.   That's
just speculation though, I'm not really sure it won't work.

Also, it doesn't rm the source stuff after compiling it, so you'll need
to make sure you've got plenty of spare disk space.

<rant=must_compile_everything>
The main reason I've never wanted to use stuff like Gentoo is that I
rather have someone else spend their time compiling the packages for
me; I've rarely, if ever, found the need to recompile stuff, and my
time is *much* too valuable to waste the time to recompile an entire
OS...  Anyways, who cares if ls (or cat, or dd, or ...) isn't optimized
for your architecture?  That's my thinking on the subject.

Typically for things that are useful to have optimized (like
mplayer/xine), either there's different packages available for
different architectures, or the packages available will let you chose
the optimization type at runtime.  For those without that sort of
option, or kernels, recompiling them isn't a huge pain, because the
number of packages that one cares about starts to get really small (and
probably could be counted on one hand).
</rant>

Pat