[rescue] Sun's new policy sucks...

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Fri Apr 8 08:01:05 CDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:26:36AM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> Shawn Wallbridge <shawn at synack-hosting.com> wrote:
> > On 7-Apr-05, at 12:52 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> [...]
> >> Zones are the killer app for me; maybe for your situation they are
> >> simply not useful. SMF is not that bad.
> > I went out and bought an e3000 _just_ because of Zones (probably for
> > the same reason as you).
>
> What is the difference between Solaris zones, and Linux's vserver or
> FreeBSD's jails? I'm buggered if I can see any once the marketing puff
> is stripped off.

I think I listed some earlier, but here are two more:

1.  You can add new ethernet interfaces, on-the-fly, to a zone, using
ifconfig.

2.  You can create virtual network interfaces for a zone that sit on
top of the networking stack, and if you have multiple ethernet
interfaces connected to the same network, when one fails, there is
immediate failover of the virtual interface onto a still-working
interface.  I have not yet tested this myself however, just read about
it.

--Patrick