[rescue] Sun's new policy sucks...

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Thu Apr 7 12:49:06 CDT 2005

Mike F wrote:
> Patch clusters are available in
> ftp://patches.sun.com/patchroot/clusters/  for 2.5.1 -> 9, but there are
> no clusters available for 10. However, patch reports are available for
> Solaris 10 at
> http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=patches/patch-access  so
> it seems that the way to go for 10 is to pick individual patches to
> apply and download them from  ftp://patches.sun.com/all_unsigned/  I
> can't get a directory listing for /all_unsigned, but if you know what
> file you need, it will let you download it.

Way to go Sun.  Knowing how hard it is to get admins to even apply
patch clusters, what is the chance they will sift through the patch
reports?  Approximately zero.

Does anyone know the id of the patch that fixes the Solaris 10
startup/configuration scripts to be like Solaris 2.0-9? :)

I'm having a hard time convincing myself that there are any improvements
in 10 worth the hassle of dealing with the new obsfucated system.