[rescue] Ultra 2 upgrade question...

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:13:56 CDT 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 3:59 AM, Janet L. Campbell <janet at foonly.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
> > Janet L. Campbell wrote:
> > > ...and last I checked (admittedly, Solaris 7), the Solaris metadevice
> > > driver wasn't multithreaded, so you won't get any use of a second CPU.
> >
> > That's bad.  That's remarkably bad.
> >
> > I think I know just the person to ask, though.
>
> An old thread, if anyone's interested:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6pat9
>
> We got pretty fed up with Disksuite at that point.  I think James'
> LD_PRELOAD hack is still floating around somewhere.

But aren't Sol 6 & 7 (and 2.5.1, really) when Sun was still
trying to do it's partnering gig with Veritas, and so, slowly
letting Soltice die (at $network_co we explicitly bought a
site license for Veritas b/c Sun told us Soltice was being
phased out)?

It'd certainly be worth testing under Sol 9 to see if it performs
as poorly now.  Especially given that some one reported on
geeks or rescue a while back that SDS now does the "right
thing" automatically with regard to mirrored stripes for
maximum failure prevention (0+1? I can never remember the
order).

=Nadine=