[rescue] Ultra 2 upgrade question...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Apr 4 20:34:47 CDT 2005

" From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
"
" Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
" > I have had poor results with software RAID and Solaris.  Not sure
" > why... it does work, just slowly.
"
" You surprise me.  I have eight disks RAIDed with Solstice Disksuite (or
" whatever Sun's currently calling it) on a single-250MHz U30 running
" Solaris 9, and it can easily saturate a 100Mbit connection.
"
" That is, to be fair, just a stripe, not RAID5.

apples and oranges.  striping - especially across controllers - is a
great way to improve disk i/o.  raid5 requires the metadriver to
calculate/analyze ecc sums on the fly every time there's an i/o.
that's the penalty you pay for the ability to pull one of your raid5
disks out without crashing your system.