[rescue] DEC VAXstation 3100

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Thu Sep 30 05:19:56 CDT 2004

   On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I can get a 3100 from work if I remove the hard drive in it.
>
> What kinds of SCSI drives can I use with one of these machines?

   You'll need to stay under 1Go for the boot drive.  I believe
the restriction is due to the way VMS handles dumping core
following a panic.  If the drive is > 1Go, then there's the
possibility that a dump might overwrite data on the disk.

   I do not believe that restriction exists for non-boot disks.

   All that said, 1 gig is quite more than enough to be very
comfortable with using VMS.

> I'll obviously have to use a wide->narrow converter, but what about
> drive sizes?

   Internally they're bog-standard 50-pin SCSI.

> Getting VMS is, of course, yet another hurdle...

   Take a gander at the hobbyist VMS license that's available through
one of the DECUS chapters (in Texas, someplace, I believe).

   Cheers.